Monday, March 19, 2007

Struggling with Perfection

Perfection. As a friend once said to me, it’s a highly “charged” word. I thought that was an appropriate reaction to it too because it seems to me that in our modern society, filled with images, many of us struggle with this concept; a concept that we set as a goal, but yet is unattainable at the same time.

First off, except for mathematics, there is no such thing as perfection. Perfection is relative to one’s culture, society, family and self. To this extent, perfection falls into the realm of art. That is to say, to the degree it “speaks” to the individual, it closely follows the measuring stick of satisfaction we each construct in our heads. In modern western cultures, for example, some see size “zero” as the ideal. However, in many traditional African cultures, society prefers a more “shapely” woman. In my mind, both these perceptions are ill formed; health should both motivate and determine people’s body shape. Unfortunately, many people see such social standards of perfection as an absolute and ignore what might be “common sense”. In this way, perfection is very much a self-defeating concept.

Perhaps the notion of “picture perfect” captures the essence of this “charged” word. Like the pictures we admire, “perfection” is all too rare an experience because it is based on a standard external from ourselves. Yes, the picture may be perfect for some, but that photograph is very often the result of lighting, makeup, photo refinishing, hair and clothing stylists, and was selected from among dozens or even hundreds of photos. So, in reality that “picture perfect” picture represents only an instance among many less perfect moments. As far as linking perfection with one’s satisfaction of the outcome, unless you are realistic in what comprises that standard, you are setting yourself up for defeat because you have set unreasonable expectations.

Now as a self-described “perfectionist,” I do not mean to say we should “settle” for what is available. I use the term perfection as a measuring stick by which I can judge my efforts. We are human and therefore imperfect. All I can do is my best and with that intent I allow myself to make mistakes, to be imperfect, to learn from them and try to do better next time. For example, I am not a very good writer, however I believe I have some good ideas. I know my writing is far from perfect and this Blog is my effort to improve these skills. While I struggle each week to communicate my thoughts, my goal is not perfection; it is simply to do my best. I don’t know whether I will become a better communicator, but over time the efforts of my journey will reveal their fruits.

While many associate “perfection” with “Godliness” I associate it with effort. We can never be perfect – it’s the nature of the human beast. However, we can strive to do our best. And, through our struggle others may catch a glimpse of our potential, our perfection.

No comments: