Monday, March 26, 2007

Embrace Those Wrinkles!

If there is anyone out there who has checked out my profile, you may have noticed that I list the city where I live as "Lost Angeles." This great city, however, is not alone in its confusion, it is merely a concentrate of larger cultural trends in our modern, media-driven society. And, what is that trend? Modern society is obsessed with youth to the extent of self-denial.

I think youth is great for what it can offer: energy, enthusiasm, health and being open to new ideas. But, where does this preoccupation with being youthful come from? To the extent that we value the "gifts" of youth, it seems natural for anyone to admire. However, to the extent we focus solely on appearances, I believe media feeds this frenzy and the formula is fairly straight forward -- it's called marketing demographics. This corporate sponsored social research targets age groups 14-35 because they are very good consumers. And, since this is the most profitable demographic, film and television producers are only too happy to meet the market's demand. As a result, society is bombarded with images of youth, their products and "culture."

In a society focused on youth culture, age becomes an important issue in the audience's mind. While everyone is different, we are also in many ways similar. Specifically, everyone wants to be needed and appreciated by others. However, in a society that prizes youth, this basic instinct now focuses and motivates behavior to claim this "social prize" -- the attention of others.

Now, if my argument sounds ridiculous, you are absolutely right! But, it's not the theory that is ridiculous, it's the reality. Personally, I really appreciate getting older because it brings me clarity where there was once confusion; I now understand that it is only through time that we gain the experience and knowledge to appreciate what is important. In other words, it brings wisdom. It seems to me, however, that wisdom is a tricky creature -- it only shows itself when we accept and embrace our experience. I've heard people say that, like gray hair, wrinkles are earned. They are a physical manifestation of our age and experience. It always saddens me when people say, "I wish I were 19 again." Such statements negate the invaluable knowledge and experience that people can only gain through time. By "falling for" the mirage that modern media promotes in the name of profit, people reduce themselves and what they are capable of contributing to society; they self-sabotage their potential for finding happiness with a single, careless thought.

If our basic need is to be appreciated by others through our relationships, that need is ultimately found in the beauty of another's character. Personally, I find that after I get to know someone, I only remember their thoughts and actions and can barely describe their appearance because that is no longer important in my mind's eye. While there's nothing wrong with putting our "best foot forward," the more energy and focus we put into our outer appearance, the less value we place on our unique experiences and gifts that actually make us who we are. And, while smooth skin is nice, its not going to save the world. It is our wisdom and experience, our wrinkles, that will ultimately guide us to our salvation :-)

No comments: